WNT uses cookies in order to guarantee the best possible service.
By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies.
For more information, see our privacy policy.

WNT’s Red Mist Racing wins the British F2 National Championship


Steve Hoult British F2 Powerboat Champion in action on the water

Steve Holt F2 British Powerboat Champion

Steve takes the top podium step as winner of the Bedford GP

Steve with teammates Keith Rosborough (left) and Simon Watling (right)

Stewartby Lake was the venue for the Bedford GP, the last round of the British F2 National Championship where, with the weather playing its part, along with racing incidents, WNT Red Mist driver Steve Holt took three second places over the weekend’s racing to secure his and the team’s first British F2 championship title.

In typically British fashion the weather played its part over the final race weekend of the British F2 Powerboat championship with qualifying delayed due to high winds and the first race on Saturday postponed until the following day. When qualifying for the F2 races finally got underway Steve Holt in his WNT Red Mist boat put in some fast laps, but he was pipped to pole position by Paul Balfour by 0.5 second. Now came the wait until Sunday for the racing to start.

Sunday morning brought perfect racing conditions, and with the F2 boats first away Steve made a great start in heat one, overtaking Paul and being chased hard by championship rival Colin Jelf. The pair attacked the course and the result was Steve being unable to slow for the corner, forcing him outside of the racing boundaries. A quick recovery saw Steve follow Colin home in second place, only for him and another competitor to be disqualified for exceeding the track limits, a decision that was thankfully overuled on appeal. Starting from second place in heat two Steve again got a good start, this time with no controversy, and the result mirrored race one, with Steve finishing second to Colin, who was closing the championship lead held by Steve. Due to Saturday’s race being squeezed in to Sunday’s schedule a quick turn around meant there was little time for adjustments and after the boat was released from the officials there was only time for refuelling and the essential checks, before the start of heat 3, the final race of the season and championship decider.

As the lights went out Alan Marshal made a stunning start getting past both Steve and Colin to take the lead at the first corner. Hard racing saw Steve overtake Colin on the outside to move into second place. Some of the pressure was removed a lap later when Colin was forced to pull out with mechanical failure, leaving Steve to finish in a comfortable second place for the third time in the weekend and secure the overall win in the Bedford GP and give him his first British F2 championship title.

Red Mist Racing have to thank their sponsors WNT, Clifton Engineering, and Precision 2000, a big thanks to Tony and Andrew. We also have to thank our fellow competitors for their help this year and it’s a testimony to our sport that we keep our racing on the water and not in the pits.